Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

Spirit (Elemental, #3) by Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher:  Allen & Unwin
Publication date: June 1st, 2013
Number of pages: 294 pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He has learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can't seem to afford any allies.

He's up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there's Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She's not hostile. She's bold. Funny. Hot. But she's got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down - which means he'll have to find someone he can trust.

POWER. ENEMIES. EVERYWHERE

This is the third book in the Elemental series and after Spark I couldn't wait to know more about Hunter. We were introduced to him in Storm, but at that point I didn't really like him all that much. He was coming in between Becca and Chris and I did not approve, aha. But I was curious about who he was and there was enough for me to continue to look forward to see if he would get happiness.

In Spirit, we discover there is more to Hunter than meets the eye. You think you know him. You don't. You think he isn't broken. He is. I was blown away by how much Kemmerer was also to affect me. I didn't expect to adore Hunter's story as much as the other two because I was in love with the Merricks and I wasn't sure how I would feel with this guy having his own book, but it totally worked because he is family.
In Spark he began to befriend Gabriel and even though the others didn't really like him because of certain things that went down in the first book, but when Michael Merrick takes a chance on him, that's all he needs.

Hunter has always been torn between what he has always been taught and what he feels deep in his heart. It's always been a US and THEM kind of thing. The Guide and then there is the Merricks. When a new girl takes an interest in him, he thinks he has found the one person who may take his mind of everything that has been happening. Unbeknowest to him, not everyone is as they seem. Her agenda may be more than texting the cute boy in class. It may be more about something far sinister than one might wish.
Meet Kate. She has a way of getting people relaxed enough to open up. I suppose she has her own secrets, and when she meets Hunter, she thinks she can use him to her advantage, but is she also prepared for falling for someone she shouldn't.. and what would the consequences of that might be?
Kate is a girl of mystery. She is bold and fearless. She and Hunter have more in common than he might realize, and when her story unravels, he may either want to duck and hide, or run. Or a third option? Trust your instincts because sometimes you have to have faith in someone rather than thinking they are one type of person.

I thought their relationship was definitely interesting and I supported it. There was times where I didn't like Kate or what she was doing, but I understood why, because there was a greater force behind her that makes her motives look like child play.
Hunter and Kate's relationship takes an interesting turn when they suddenly find themselves on the same side and have to decide how to go about surviving to the next day. Not everyone is as forgiving and understanding as she.

What I loved most about this book was how Hunter finally found the family he needs. It doesn't come easy, but I loved the way he has found himself in the hearts of the Merricks. Hunter is just as messed up as the rest of them, which means he would fit right in.
The way Michael Merrick handles Hunter, I feel Michael identifies himself with Hunter in some ways during his teenage years. He takes Hunter under his wing because he doesn't want to see his life worse than it already is.
When we get involved in his personal life and you see the way his family life is, well, it's easy to understand why he deserves so much better and by being around the Merricks makes him feel some sort of family. I wanted to reach out and hug him on more than one occasion. The things he has been through, the things he has had to endure just made my head spin. Every one is messed up and has issues in some form or another, but Hunter... Ugh.   His book just made me understand him like  I never did before.

Brigid Kemmerer also achieved one thing you don't often see in YA these days. A shock worthy event that I had to double check to make sure I was reading it right. She sure is not your typical YA author, and for that is actually a great thing. You never know what to expect or what she will do next. Her books keep you on edge. Just when you think you know... your world will be then turned upside down and you'll have no idea why.

I absolutely can't wait for book 4 in the series. I know it's gonna be Nick's book and that for sure is going to be interesting to say the very least.

Rating: 5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment