Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis
Publisher: Penguin
Publication date: May 2nd, 2013
Number of pages: 369pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience. But this new Earth isn't the paradise that Amy had been hoping for. Amy and Elder must race to uncover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. But each new discovery brings more danger. And if their colony collapses then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been meaningless..

It's a shame that when the first few books in a series have been great but then get let down by its conclusion. This is what happened here. I had to wait extra longer for the book to be released in Australia, so I had all these hopes. When I did get around to reading it it didn't feel like the same story I had been reading.

I understand how things were different because of the different surroundings, but I was was not impressed. People weren't who I thought they would be, there was contrived plots and it was poorly delivered. I expected much better from Beth Revis.
I was a big fan of the romance between Amy and Elder, even though I knew they were gonna have their happy ending, but in the way it happened, I didn't like.
I'm disappointed and wish things could have been different, but I guess you can't always get what you want.

In this installment, Amy and co find themselves right next to Centauri Earth and have to decide whether or not they should take the risk in landing and making it their home. Not everyone agrees, but those that do hop on their way to explore the new planet.
Soon they discover that they aren't alone, and it brings more danger than they ever anticipated. Amy isn't alone either when her parents slowly wake up and she is reunited with them, to discover she may not know her parents like she thought she did. She basically was blind when it came to why they were there, what their mission was and their intentions.

I would still recommend this series no matter if this book disappointed me. It did have its good parts, even with the bad, so I guess it was not a total waste of my time.
Everything ended up the way it was supposed to, I guess, though sometimes it's not how you envisioned it to end up.

I'd like to say Ciao to this trilogy, I'll always cherish it as the series that got me into YA sci fi and for that I'm greatful.

Rating: 3/5






No comments:

Post a Comment