Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Slated (Slated, #1) by Teri Terry
Publisher: Orchard Books
Publication date: May 3rd, 2012
Number of pages: 448 pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

Somewhere in the future, a Dystopian world, there are officers that punish criminals. If you are under the age of 16, you are Slated, which means your memory is wiped and you have no memories of the person you were, only who you are today. This is their version of a second chance at a new life. To do something better than you did previously.

Kyla wakes up to a new life.  She doesn't know what she did to get Slated, but she doesn't question it right away because she is lucky to be given this chance.
With her new family, Kyla tries to form some sort of normal life as she adjusts to everything and new people.
Each Slated has a wrist-attached Levo, which controls their emotions and moods, just to monitor them just in case they experience violet outbursts. In that case that does happen, they will be rendered unconscious.  This Levo makes sure each Slated is turned into the perfect citizen, as to not hurt themselves or anyone else in the community.

I found this world built by Terry quite interesting and definitely plausable. It's set in England where the government has been taken over by the coalition. I could definitely see this as a realistic thing and I could see myself in a world such as this, as I know how horrible the  coalition can be... they are dirty bastards who only think about control and power -- yes, I'm more of a Labour supporter, even though I am not much into politics.
Every time Kyla had a blast from the Levo, I can only just imagine how much pain that would feel like. There are some freaky moments where  I could feel myself in her position and it's utterly terrifying.  I'm not sure how I would go about things if I was in her situation.

Kyla is a strong girl who goes from keeping her mouth shut and playing with the rules they have set for her, to someone who keeps asking too many questions and finding herself involved in the conspiracy of this world and the Slated.

Now lets get to the romance... there is always one, and well, I could somewhat understand it, and felt it at times, I think it could have been written better.  I didn't connect with Ben as much as I wish I could have. Maybe the next book will be better in terms of their relationship.  But they did have their moments that I felt was sweet, and I'd like to know more about him and their relationship.  I suppose that was the one thing that could have been improved.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed the book.  I have bought the second book... just have to get around to reading it  --  this is what happens when I own too many books.

Rating:  4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment