Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur

Moon Sworn (Riley Jensen Guardian #9) by Keri Arthur
Publication Date: May 25, 2010
Publisher: Dell
Number of Pages: 416
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

 Some nights never end.

Some desires never die. . . .

She ventures where no one else dares—into realms of peril and pleasure. But will this next journey be her last?

Shape-shifting werewolf and vampire Riley Jenson is through with death–causing it, solving it, surviving it. Her soul mate, Kye Murphy, is dead–and at Riley’s own hands. Not even the seductive embrace of her vampire lover, Quinn, can fully ease her mind, for she has begun questioning everything that makes her Riley–including her job at the Directorate.

Now, the ritualistically slain bodies of ex-cons have started turning up. Reluctantly, Riley takes the case, but something even worse is waiting in the wings. For a vicious enemy from her past is determined to strip Riley of everything that gives her life any meaning: her lover, her brother–and even her own identity. Can Riley survive this ultimate assault? All she knows is, she must fight one last time to find answers, before everything goes dark forever…

A little over a year later, and I'm finally finish with the series. My first reaction? Thank God! As I mention in previous reviews I have a complicated relationship with this series. I wasn't impressed with the first book, but I loved the second book. But the last half of this series? Disappointed. I should of stopped. Most of it I do have to say is for my dislike of Quinn, and Riley choosing to be with him.

Killing her soul mate has taken a toll on Riley, and her worst fear of becoming a cold murderer like her brother is coming true. She knows she needs to get out, but she doesn't have much options. It's either the Directorate or the military. But she can't shake the last thing Kye told her, that Blake wants revenge, and will come after her. Which is how she found herself kidnapped, and lost all her memories. Honesty? That was my favorite part of the book. And even kidnapped without her memories of who she is Riley finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation. Like we've established trouble finds Riley. Of course the murder investigation she finds herself in has connections to the case she was working on when she was kidnapped. Really the murders weren't that relevant to the story. Even after reading it, I couldn't remember the details of who it it and why.

Like everyone one of the previous books this book didn't have enough of Rhoan or Liander. Kade's death and absently was very much noted. While kidnapped there was a wolf that insisted was her brother, but she knew he wasn't. Even when he came clean he still swore he was her brother. At first I thought it was Rhoan undercovered. A moment later I knew it wasn't, but I just knew that he was some kind of sibling to her. And what do you know, I was right. Riley founds out that her mother had married, and this was her step brother. On top of that her and Rhoan has half siblings. I was sure we would see closure with their previous pack and more with their mother. We did have closure but not what I wanted to see. Barely anything with their mother. What I disappointment. I feel like the end of this series was Riley coming to terms with who she is and her past.

I'm still upset she ended up with Quinn, and even that Kye was her soul mate. It really should of been Cole. Now that would of worked wonders. I think I mentioned it in the last review or not, but I get the message in this. There are times when a love is stronger than soul mates or even destiny, and dreams can change. But the author never gave it a fighting chance with Riley and her soul mate. Speaking of soul mates and family, not sure how I feel about Riley and Liander having kids. Yes it was said that the three of them would raise them, but it was never clear on who would be who. Would Riley be seen as their mom? Which I believe would be yes. But would both Liander and Rhoan been known as their dads? Or just Liander? I find the whole situation weird, but maybe in their werewolf culture not. But then again their pack would be unique, especially considering Riley married a vampire. Which is another thing. Quinn made it clear he wasn't interested in kids and didn't want to actively help raise them. How can you be with someone, no matter how much you love them, they didn't want the same things you do? Especially that wouldn't want to be actively interested in your own kids lives? I really did love the last line in the book, even though it was kind of weird. It gave the impression that Liander and Riley would be raising the kids. No mention of Rhoan. 
"Those," he said with a grin that lit up his entire face, "are our babies. Riley Jensen, you and I are having twins."

.  The series wasn't bad. Just not my thing. I still believe Quinn isn't the right person for Riley. And Riley getting out of the Directorate way too easily. I feel like there's loose strings left hanging. Like the drugs in her system. That I feel was a huge part of the series. And I feel cheated that we didn't see Rhoan finally settling down with Liander. I know there's a spin off series, and against my better judgement I've agree to at least read the first book, but I don't feel like these issues would be answered in there.

Rating: 3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment