Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels #5) by Ilona Andrews
Publication Date: May 31, 2011
Publisher: ACE
Number of Pages: 308
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate.

So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price .

Being mated to the Beast Lord has it's perks. Kate has now opened her own private investigation business, and things would be great if only Kate could get some business. When the Red Guard comes to her and want her to find a missing inventor and his invention, Kate jumps to the chance at her first paying job.

This is the first book in the series that isn't connected to Roland. But the danger could be worst than anything they have seen before. The missing device has the power to kill anything in its range that has any kind of magical abilities. And a secret society is behind it all and wants the world magic free. I won't go into much detail because it would give a lot away.

We finally get to see Kate and Curran as a couple. It's also a fear in books once your favorite duo gets together they will become boring and lose that spark. Kate and Curran could never be boring. He's still a control freak and she still fights all authority. We even discover they have pet names for each other. How sweet.

This book is just as amazing as the rest. We learn the fate of Andrea, whom true identity was discovered by the Order, and was forced to retired. With no job, Kate offers Andrea a job with her. I've always enjoyed Andrea and I love her and Kate's scenes together. We see Julie return, getting kicked out of school. But not everything is peachy. Julie is bitten by a shapeshifter and is endanger of going loup. Kate refuses to kill her. And her only other option is something dangerous. And Kate barely comes out of it alive, and in return ends in a coma, and it's Curran's turn to sit by her.

Of course I can't have a Kate review without some quotes:

The tension in his voice eased. "You sure you don't need your Prince Charming to come and save you?"
The kot in my stomach evaporated. My Prince Charming, huh. "Sure, do you have one handy?"
"Oh, I think I could scrounge one up somewhere. As often as I have to rescue you..."

 “Andrea raised her hand. “This is the hand that slapped Aunt B.”
“Maybe you should have it gold-plated.”
“Here, you can touch it, since you’re my best friend.”

 “Yes I can,” Curran snarled. “Listen: this is me telling you what you will not do.”
I raised the cookbook and tapped him on the nose. Bad cat.

 “It’s your duty as my best friend to be outraged with me.”
“I’m outraged!” I snarled. “That bastard!”
“Thank you,” Andrea said.

 “I know it's late, but could you find a book for me? It's called The Slavs: Study of Pagan Tradition by Osvintsev."
Barabas sighed dramatically. "Kate, you make me despair. Let's try that again from the top, except this time pretend you are an alpha."
"I don't need a lecture. I just need the book."
"Much better. Little more growl in the voice?"
"Barabas!"
"And we're there. Congratulations!”

 Shapeshifter parenting motto—if your kid slit somebody's throat, always have a backup plan to make the body disappear.

 “You snore worse. At least I don't turn into a lion in my sleep."
"I only did it once."
"Once was weird enough, thank you.”

 “I clawed my eyes open and rolled off my bed. For some reason, someone had moved the floor several feet lower than I had expected, and I fell and crashed with a thud.
Ow.
A blond head popped over the side of the bed, and a familiar male voice asked, “Are you okay down there?”
Curran. The Beast Lord was in my bed. No, wait a minute. I didn’t have a bed, because my insane aunt had destroyed my apartment. I was mated to the Beast Lord, which meant I was in the Keep, in Curran’s rooms, and in his bed. Our bed. Which was four feet high. Right.
“Kate?”
“I’m fine.”
“Would you like me to install one of those child playground slides for you?”

 Andrea stared at me. "You're not taking me seriously!"
"That's probably because you're not excited enough," Derek said. "You should clench your fists like they do in the movies, shake them, and yell, 'This is bigger than any of us! It goes all the way to the top!”

 “Did he just rip out the engine?" I asked.
"Yes", Saiman said. "And now he is demolishing the Maserati with it."
Ten seconds later Curran hurled the twisted wreck of black and orange that used to be the Maserati into the wall.
The first melodic notes of an old song came from the computer. I glanced at Saiman.
He shrugged. "It begged for a soundtrack.”

We also learn that Kate's mother was a witch and learn about her power. And we learn the truth what really happened when Kate's mom ran away with Voron. I like to ignore that. It's not a happy picture.
As I said this is the first book not to have a direct threat from Roland. But at the end Kate receives flowers and a card from Hugh, Roland's warlord. In the note he calls Kate Highness, which I find interesting. Or maybe not too interesting, just that Hugh knows for sure who Kate is.

Rating: 5/5





 

No comments:

Post a Comment