Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Grave Memory (Alex Craft #3) by Kalayna Price
Publication Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: ROC
Number of Pages: 373
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

As a Grave Witch, Alex solves murders by raising the dead—an ability that comes at a cost, and after her last few cases, that cost is compounding. But her magic isn’t the only thing causing havoc in her life. While she’s always been on friendly terms with Death himself, things have recently become a whole lot more close and personal. Then there’s her sometime partner, agent Falin Andrews, who is under the glamour of the Winter Queen. To top everything off, her best friend has been forever changed by her time spent captive in Faerie.

But the personal takes a backseat to the professional when a mysterious suicide occurs in Nekros City and Alex is hired to investigate. The shade she raises has no memory of the days leading up to his brutal ending, so despite the very public apparent suicide, this is murder. But what kind of magic can overcome the human will to survive? And why does the shade lack the memory of his death? Searching for the answer might mean Alex won’t have a life to remember at all…

I really meant to spread the three books out, but I just couldn't help myself. I blame my friend who sent me some amazing quotes and I knew I had to start this ASAP.

The book picks up about a month after the second book ended. Her love life hasn't gotten any better since the last book. A relationship with Death is forbidden, plus he stopped his random visits. Falin is under the Winter Queen's control and must obey her commands, and she's commanded him not to have any personal visits with Alex. But that doesn't stop her from having the FIB raiding Alex's house, and having Falin conducting them. Not to mention Caleb is getting very frustrated with all the raids and even threatened to evict Alex from the house.

Alex is still struggling with her new found heritage, learning that the Shadow King is her grand granduncle through her mom. Which makes Alex more fae than human, not that she will admit it. I was a little disappointed that we didn't see more of the Shadow King in this book. But we do see a little bit of interaction between Alex and her father. Which I wish there was more of. Yes he acts like a jerk towards her and seems like he doesn't really care. But I feel like everything he has done is to protect Alex, he's just not good at showing how much he cares. Or a comment makes me think that Alex's siblings aren't really his kids. Speaking of siblings, I have a feeling that at some point Alex's missing brother will turn up or we will at least learn what happened to him.

Alex's new case is complicated as ever. Does this girl ever get easy cases? People are committing suicide, yet their shades has no memory of the act or even a few days before it. And each person had witness a suicide the day they started losing their memories. But when the people she cares about are close to losing their lives, Alex will give anything to save them.

What the first half was lacking in romance, the second half certainly made up for it. If you weren't sure who you want Alex with, this book will make your mind up. It seems at times Alex is torn between both men, but with Falin under the Winter Queen's control Alex can never trust him. He's not completely the bad guy though. He's just caught in her twisted game, and pretty much a slave. But Death...it has the forbidden love going on. Not to mention he's always been there for Alex, and knows are her secrets. Not to mention he will sacrifice everything to save her.

So far this book is my favorite in the series. And the ending....it's shocking and seems like the love triangle will come back in focus. I really hope in future books we see more of Alex interacting with more of the fae, more of dad, and I really want to see more of Caleb. Which maybe now that him and Holly are an item, which I saw that coming since the last book. Counting down the days till the fourth book comes out.

Rating: 5/5

 




 



2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice review! It's been forever since I read the second book so my memory on this one is pretty bad! But I still can't wait to dive back in. Although since you mentioned it in your review, I do recall Alex's heritage being a shocking reveal! Really need to read this one myself! Love Kalayna's books!

    I highly recommend reading her other series that deals with shapeshifters and vampires. The first one is Once Bitten! The third book in the series has yet to be released, the date keeps changing and it's driving me crazy, because it's really been years since I last read Twice Dead, book 2!

    Once again, great review! I look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I'd love to read this series.

    ReplyDelete