Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione

Rogue Rider (Lords of Deliverance #4) by Larissa Ione
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication date: November 20th, 2012
Number of pages: 391
Format: Mass-Market Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Jillian Cardiff came to this remote mountain town to forget the demon attack that almost killed her. Instead, she rescues-and falls for-a gorgeous stranger who has no memory of anything other than his name. Handsome, charming, and protective, Reseph seems like the kind of man whom Jillian can trust. But with hints of a troubling history of his own, he's also the kind of man who can be very dangerous . . .

Reseph may not know why he mysteriously appeared in Jillian's life, but he knows he wants to stay. Yet when Jillian's neighbors are killed, and demon hunters arrive on the scene, Reseph fears that he's putting Jillian in danger. And once it's revealed that Reseph is also Pestilence, the Horseman responsible for ravaging the world, he and Jillian must face the greatest challenge of all: Can they forget the horrors of a chilling past to save the future they both desire?

For a story/book that I could never pictured any kind of redemption or even a happy happy for, Rogue Rider did such an amazing job of making the guy who was THE villian for the past 4 books into someone I rooted for.

It was so odd. After the first book or two; when it was revealed that Reseph would be getting his own book (expected though), I couldn't gather or conjure the possible thoughts that someone who has caused so much horrible things in this series would find the kind of happiness that usually comes with having a love interest and his own book.
I was clearly mistaken. After the cliffhanger ending that we were left with at Lethal Rider, I was intrigued on where things would take us, and him.
I was told beforehand that this book was unlike any of the others; that it read like more of a romance book. It was very true, the very beginning you wouldn't have known it was pnr book at all. It felt like one of those classic, typical romance books you'd find with harlequin that I used at cringe at. But it worked for this... I think mainly because since Reseph didn't remember who he was, and he was no longer the villian he had been for the past year (or four books). He was back to being the guy he was before his seal broke, and from what his brothers had said... that guy would not be able to handle the kind of grief and torment that would come with knowing all the things he did.

The relationship between Reseph and Jillian came naturally. It was beautiful. But man... Reseph sure has an ego.. I guess no wonder why Pestilence was so sure of himself, because Reseph was like that to begin with. Cocky to boot.. sometimes I found myself laughing or blushing. He wasn't the type to hold back on anything no matter what it may be.
But I found myself falling for this man just as Jillian did. I felt bad for when when he discovered who he was and the guilt that followed with. It was natural, unless you were stone-cold that discovering you weren't an angel but a horrible monster; it would get to you.

There were scenes... especially with the brothers that made me feel , but in the end I felt his story came to a nice conclusion.

Jillian was also not an ordinary girl. She knew about the paranormal... in an unexpected way that goes back to a time that was not pretty for her.. she has strong and honest. She also had her own secrets that she held close to her heart. But as she and Reseph got closer, the cracks began to show.

Since I knew that the next book will be Reavers, I began to really understand him and Harvester a lot more than I did. Early in the series I didn't really like either of them, then I came to adore Reaver in the last book or two. It wasn't until Rogue Rider that  began to like Havester as we saw she wasn't always who she made herself out to be.
And boy. The revelation between Reaver and the siblings? DID NOT see that coming at all. But I guess it does make sense.

Something else I totally forgot was that Reaver originally appeared in the Demonica series. I don't know why I didn't remember this, but now I do... I may have to re-read parts of that series again.

Now.. what a wait until Reaver's book, which I don't believe we even have a title for right now.

5 out of 5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment