Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
Publication Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Number of Pages: 305
Format: Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

Even though this book has been on my to be read list for a while, I was a little nervous going into the book. The last few books that had been recommended to me I didn't enjoy. But with this one I found a winner.

The book is told in both June and Day's POV. At times it took me a minute or two to adjust when it would switched, but usually I like multiple POV as long as the author doesn't repeat scenes. I immediately fell in love with June's relationship with her brother, Metias. From the description I knew Metias dies, but I wasn't expecting it so early in the book. I loved both Day and June equally. Throughout the book I kept forgetting how young they are.

The world building is a little iffy in the book. We are told enough to get a general idea. We are left with a ton of questions at the end. Hopefully they will be answered in future books. The mystery around who really killed Metias wasn't a surprised to me, I had it figured out from the beginning; which honestly I thought was in general was obvious.

I wasn't too impressed with any of the secondary characters. I initially liked Thomas, but I knew something was off about him. Tess...she seemed just to be there. The only ones I enjoyed was Day's brother John. This book is fulled of action and even death, which is surprised me for being the first in the series.

I'm looking forward to reading the second book, and hoping to learn more about how the Republic came to be, more about the Colonies, and why did they fail Day at his Trail; I could be wrong but I feel like his score has a significance.

Rating: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment