Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: Every day by David Levithan

Every day
David Levithan
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication date: August 28th, 2012
Number of pages: 336
Format: Kindle
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository
Add to Goodreads

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.
Every Day is one of those rare books you come across where it just blows your mind. From the concept, to the actions and characters to the unique plot.
A is neither a guy nor girl. He is a soul that, each day wakes up in a different body. This was something that has been happening since the time he was born. Which was how long ago? Does that mean A is technically immortal since A never says in one body more than a day? I thought about this, trust me. I think it opens up a lot of questions with many possibilities in mind.

A goes day by day and tries not to get involved in that person's life because it could do more harm than good, and what would be the point? But A slips up, when he wakes up in the body of Justin, and then falls for his girlfriend.... the rules begin to change.
A begins to feel things that never happened before. Does things that A never did before, like saying things, and doing things in Justin's body that changes things in his life.
But what happens when A doesn't want to leave Rhiannon, Justin's girlfriend? What if she knew the truth.. would she run, or would she accept this is how things are?

And that, folks is where we have the delimma. I absolutely loved this book. I was so drawn to the story, to A and the relationship with Rhiannon. It seems so impossible. How could a relationship between them work? If there was a way for A to stay in one body.. then maybe it wouldn't be so difficult.
Man. It's so hard to refer to A, as just A.. I am so used to saying "He" or "She", but in this case A is neither, and both at the same time. It takes a little time grasping. Like if A is in a girl's body.. and sees Rhiannon, does that make A gay? and vice versa? Ha.  I guess you have to look at it that A is just a soul, but somehow has its own feelings apart from the ones A felt within a specific body.

This is such a clever, magnificent, enticing and memerizing novel. I could not get enough of it. I admit, I had never read anything by David Levithan before, but had definitely heard about his work. After reading this, I definitely would love to read more of his  stuff and what he would come up with next.

I would recommend this to everyone. No matter what you like or don't like.. I think this book would appeal to just about everyone. It is that creative. That addicting and imaginative.

This is a story that will stick with you so far past the last page. A novel that will be everlasting in your thoughts.

Verdict

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!! I'm so glad you loved this as much as me!! And yeah i keep on calling A "he" because it makes it easier to explain to my book friends but ultimately A is a soul. Also I NEVER thought about A being immortal...it would make sense(thoughtful) Great review & this is my first David Levithan book too!

    -lisseth @ Read-A-holicZ (also added your button on my blog, here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised as how much I loved the book. Yeah, I pretty much refer to 'A' as He also. It feels like a HE, so yes, lets just go with that. Hah.

      Yeah, I mean technically he is only in someone's body a day.. and so would never die, I mean.. a soul doesn't die, not really, so it does make sense.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds incredible. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete