Sunday, November 11, 2012

Review: Iced by Karen Marie Moning


Iced (Dani O'Malley #1/Fever #6) by Karen Marie Moning
Publication Date: October 30, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Number of Pages: 495
Format: Hardcover
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble 
Add to Goodreads
Description: The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.

Karen Moning never disappoints when it comes to a book. I know there were readers that was concern with it being from Dani's POV. The voice takes a while to get used too. But I loved being back into the Fever world. I was also surprised that we also got to see Christian and Kat's POV also.

I think I was one of the few that wasn't annoyed by Dani in the Fever series. Oddly enough, I was very annoyed by her in this book. I know she is only 14, but I found her very naive. For someone that has seen and even been through all that she has, I would expect her to be more mature. Not to mention her ego needs to come down a few notches. But I'm looking forward to seeing her grow.

Christian, Christian, Christian. Oh Karen what are you doing to that poor boy? I had such a soft spot for him in Fever. In this book you can see him growing darker and twisted. I was also surprised to find out that he has grown to hate Mac. The all of a sudden in love with Dani? Not buying it. I think turning into an Unseelie Prince has made him a little crazy. It came out of nowhere. But I would love to see his uncles come back into the picture.

We finally got to meet the mysterious Dancer. We don't learn too much about him, but I have a feeling he's a little bit more than human. As of now, he's the one I want Dani to end up with. Even though we did get some of Kat's POV, I don't think it was enough. And even frozen, Cruce/V'lane (still not sure how to refer to him V'luce?) is stirring up trouble. I was so disappointed in Jo though. In ShadowFever she was kind of badass, but she's turned into a love sick sap. I do kind of like who she was put with though.

And of course we have Ryodan and the other men. I loved that Lor was in this book frequently. Was surprised that he took a liking to Dani, but was so hostile towards Mac. But Ryodan is still mysterious as ever. I know even before the book came out, people were already shipping Ryodan and Dani. I'm sorry, but I couldn't get in it. I know there was a little foreshadowing in Dreamfever, but I still find it creepy. But them just as a pair and nothing romantic is golden! So much humor in this book, it'll keep you laughing. We did get one tiny scene with Barrons, and then then another one that Dani observed Barrons and Mac from afar. I was hoping that we would of got to see a little bit more of Mac. But the ending! Not a huge cliffhanger, but it kept me in the edge of my seat.

If you loved the Fever series, but you had reservations about this, trust me you won't be disappointed. I have my issues with Dani, but it's the plot that I really love. Because of the plot just rocks I have to give it 5 stars.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment