Friday, July 20, 2012

April's review of 'The Iron King' by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa
Publication Date: Feb 1, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Number of Pages: 363
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble  
Description:  Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

 This book had been on my TBR list forever. All I've heard how amazing and wonderful this series is. Don't get me wrong I liked the book, but I was rather disappointed. I usually always end up shipping the ship that you're "suppose" to ship. But I just couldn't get into Meghan and Ash. Don't get me wrong I loved Ash. Very intriguing character. But I found their romance very unrealistic. He had even told her in the beginning that he would kill her given the chance, and what does she do? She willingly goes off with him. The next thing you know she's in love with him, and she's barely spent any time with him and knows nothing about him. 

Now Puck on the other hand. *sighs* I fell in love with him immediately. He's amazing and by far my favorite character in the book. Not surprise by a love triangle between the girl, the best friend, and a new guy. It never ends well for the best friend. My second favorite character is Grimalkin. He was just amusing as ever. Reminded me very much of the cat from Alice in Wonderland. Now Meghan on the other hand, still not sure how I feel about her. I felt sorry for her. It seemed that her family always forgot about her. But at the same time I wanted to smack her. No matter how many times she was told not to ever thank a fairy or even make a bargain with one she just would not listen. 

I do like the concept of the Iron Fey. Very original. Overall the book was a descent read. Not the best, but not the worst I've read. Not completely sure if I'm going to continue the series though. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment