Thursday, June 14, 2012

Jen's review of "The Golden Lily" by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead
Publication date: June 12th, 2012
Publisher: Razor Bill / Penguin
Number of pages: 418
Format: Paperback
Description: Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she's been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California–tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from assassins who want to throw the Moroi court into civil war. Formerly in disgrace, Sydney is now praised for her loyalty and obedience, and held up as the model of an exemplary Alchemist.

But the closer she grows to Jill, Eddie, and especially Adrian, the more she finds herself questioning her age–old Alchemist beliefs, her idea of family, and the sense of what it means to truly belong. Her world becomes even more complicated when magical experiments show Sydney may hold the key to prevent becoming Strigoi—the fiercest vampires, the ones who don't die. But it's her fear of being just that—special, magical, powerful—that scares her more than anything. Equally daunting is her new romance with Brayden, a cute, brainy guy who seems to be her match in every way. Yet, as perfect as he seems, Sydney finds herself being drawn to someone else—someone forbidden to her.

When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney's loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she's supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she's been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.

Should she trust the Alchemists—or her heart?
My review: This book has been on my anticipated books of 2012, and boy did it live up to expectations.

Even though not much time has passed between Bloodlines and The Golden Lily, the view Sydney has on the world she thought she knew has started to change rapidly.
She is just as stubborn as ever, but slowly but surely she is starting to see that not everything is as it appears, and what she thought it was.
The relationships she has with her friends also change and they become something like a family. She knows this is not what is meant to happen. All she should be doing is protecting Jill, but by spending time with her and with the others, her feelings start to get personal. Although, that is something she refuses to think about deeply, because if she does, she'll know that she could be in a lot of trouble.

Sydney is still trying to adjust to this kind of life. A life where not everything is black and white. Everything she knows is through facts and what she has grown up to believe, so when things start to challenge those facts, she just doesn't know what to do with that kind of information.

Adrian, oh, Adrian. What can I say? There was so much progression between him and Sydney, even to a point where you just want to lock them in a room together until they can kiss and live happily ever after. I know that's not possible though. Especially not in book 2, and if I know Richelle and the way she does her books... this is only the beginning of the heartbreak for these two. It's gonna be a long journey to get to a point where they are both ready for what is lurking between them.

He also had other things to deal with in this book. First there was Dimitri, which was a constant reminder that Rose choose Dimitri and not him, which I think is still hurting a little bit.. but not as much as it used to.
Then, there is his issues with his dad, which come into play and you see just how much Adrian has to deal with when it comes to his family.
All you want to do is hug him forever for everything he has been through and want to protect him from anything that hurts him. But hurt is part of life... it's how you get through it that matters the most.

Next we have Jill, Eddie, Micah and Angeline, which becomes some sort of love... square, LOL So much goes on between the four of them. Poor Jill, for someone so young she has been through hell and back in a short amount of time. It's obvious the way Eddie feels about her, and he reminds me of Dimitri in the early days of VA when it came to Rose.

The plot of the book I really enjoyed. It was something that hit close to home to Sydney especially. She is human and being told that she has magic isn't something she can accept. It's like out of her little box she has created for what is realistic and what isn't.
But I think she will slowly adjust to the truth. It won't be easy, but I think it's a matter of time before she understands just how special she really is.
There was also a few surprises and shocks I didn't see coming. Some people did, but I sometimes don't think about certain things before they happen.

I did feel there was some foreshadowing in this book that might happen in book 3.. and it might have something to do with this quote..

"If the woman i loved was locked away, i’d be doing everything in my power to reach her”
Some of my other favourite quotes are..

"You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth."
What are you wearing?” I sighed and stared down at the dress. “I know. It’s red.
Don’t start. I’m tired of hearing about it.”
“Funny,” he said. “I don’t think I could ever get tired of looking at it.”

But perhaps the best part of al was that I, Sydney Katherine Sage, guilty of constantly analyzing the world around me, wel, I stopped thinking.
And it was glorious.

"When I’m around you, I want to be better because … wel, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like … like light made into flesh."

Seriously. This book was better than I could have imagined. And of course, a cliffhanger to boot.. that brings your heart to the floor.


Oh man. The wait until the next book will be torchure.


I think... I just might love Adrian and Sydney as much as I loved Rose and Dimitri, and that is saying something.



                                      Rating: 5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment